Thursday, August 1, 2013

Booking Through Thursday - It's Personal


Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading.

This week's question is:
Do you have a preference between "person" in the books you read? Do you prefer third-person to first-person? Or don’t you care? And … why??

I definitely prefer third person narrative. It's what I'm most used to reading, and it's also what I use when I write myself. I like how third person perspective, be it limited or omniscient, gives you the opportunity to know more about all the characters on a deeper level, not just the main character. That being said, a first person narrative isn't a deal-breaker. I've read a few books wiith this type of narrative lately and I'm getting more comfortable with it. If the author is talented, first person perspective can be very effective as you get to know the main character more intimately. However if you don't like or don't connect with the narrator, being inside their mind all the time can become very annoying indeed.

(Actually, I have a bigger issue with tense - I don't like reading in the present tense at all.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails