Saturday, January 4, 2014

End of the Year Survey 2013


Happy New Year, everyone!


Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner is hosting this exciting survey for the fourth time, and although I didn't read as many books as I'd hoped in 2013, I had lots of fun filling out the survey.

Best in Books 2013


1. Best book you read in 2013?
Strangely enough there wasn't one particular book that stood out above the others (I gave 17 books 4 stars on Goodreads but none got 5). If I have to pick one of the 4-star books, I'll say The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke.

2. Book you were excited about and thought you'd love more but didn't?
The Orphanage of Miracles by Amy Neftzger. It sounded really exciting and it started out great, but somewhere along the line it sort of lost the pace and I started to get bored. The ending didn't satisfy me at all.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter. I wasn't sure if this series was anything for me, but I ended up really enjoying it.

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people the most?
The Lord of the Rings. You should read it.

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Judd Bell & Corey Purchase series by Steve Worland. I love a good thriller and these books are full of action, excitement and humour.

6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2013?
Diana Wynne Jones. I can't believe I've never read her before.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Outlaw Trail by Brian Fox. I like watching westerns, both films and TV shows, but I don't think I've ever read a book from the genre before. It probably helped that this book is based on the TV series Alias Smith and Jones, which is one of my faves.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Velocity by Steve Worland. Non-stop action.

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
I don't usually re-read books until a few years ahve passed, but I think I'll re-read The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes before the next book in the series comes out.

10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2013?

11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Every character from The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes. They're all intriguing and colourful and unique in their own way. Amazing ensemble.

12. Most beautifully written book you read in 2013?
The Lord of the Rings.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. I saw a lot of myself in the main character, which felt good and sad at the same time.

14. Book you can't believe you waited until 2013 to read?
No one special, really.

15. Favourite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?
This is quite random, because I never remember to write down quotes.

"Miracles are tougher than you think. It's only our belief in them that's fragile."
The Orphanage of Miracles by Amy Neftzger

16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2013?
Shortest: White Collar Christmas by Misty Evans (9 pages) (Does it even count?)
Longest: The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (1095 pages)

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? (A WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
There's a plot twist in The Sacred Sword by Scott Mariani that I absolutely hate and made me want to scream.

18. Favourite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship etc.)?
Atticus O'Sullivan and Oberon the Irish Wolfhound from Hammered by Kevin Hearne.

19. Favourite book you read in 2013 from an author you've read previously?
The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen.

20. Best book you read in 2013 based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else?
Not a direct recommendation, but I'd heard so many good things about the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter around the blogosphere.

21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?
Fantasy (8 books)

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
I think I'll have to say Corey Purchase (Velocity & Combustion by Steve Worland), the charming Australian who can talk to his dog.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?
Actually I don't think I read any debuts in 2013.

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
The dark and mysterious Venice in The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke.

25. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?
Either Velocity by Steve Worland or The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes.

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?
None, I think. I'm so often sad or depressed in real life so I tend to avoid sad books.

27. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?
I don't know how most of these were received, but I definitely think more people should read The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes. It's a brilliant heist story in the fantasy genre with memorable characters.


Looking Ahead...


1. One book you didn't get to in 2013 but will be your number 1 priority in 2014?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I've been meaning to finish the series for years but kept putting it off. I finally started it on New Year's Day. Only problem is, it's so good that now I don't want it to end! I also want to read Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. It's about time I find out what Locke and Jean are up to!

2. Book you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?
The sequel to The Obsidian Mirror by Catherine Fisher.

3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating?
I haven't had a chance to look into this year's debuts, so I don't know yet.

4. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?
Tbh I don't know if any of my series are ending this year!

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014?
I simply want to read more than I did last year and also try to get my blog going again with more frequent reviews and other posts.

So that was my 2013! What were your favourite books from 2013?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails