Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Top Ten Tuesday - Book Quotes
This week's topic is
Top Ten Favourite Book Quotes
I had a hard time narrowing this list down to just ten quotes, because my gosh, books are just full of them. So yes, I cheated and included 12 quotes, even an entire poem. Trust me, they're worth it.
Here we go, in no particular order:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
– Dr. Seuss
"This is nonsense! First you say I am a murderer - an agent in league against you - and now I am a deluded heartsick girl! Pray make up your mind so I can scoff at you with precision!"
– Miss Temple in The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by G.W. Dahlquist
"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."
– Rita Mae Brown, Sudden Death
"There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best parts."
– Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist
– Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
”It takes much bravery to stand up to our enemies but we need as much bravery to stand up to our friends.”
– J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
”I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
– Douglas Adams, The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
– Dr. Seuss
"The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree
Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued."
– Robert Frost
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
– Bilbo Baggins in The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
"How terribly sad it was that people are made in such a way that they get used to something as extraordinary as living."
– Jostein Gaarder, The Solitaire Mystery
“Let’s think the unthinkable, let’s do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”
– Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency