Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday - Favourite Words

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature / weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we make a top ten list from a given topic.

This week's topic is:

Favourite Words

I had to think hard about this one, because even though I'm surrounded by words every day, not only through reading and writing, but through my work as well, I only knew of one word that was sure to make the list. The rest came to me while writing this post, and I'll admit it's pretty random.

1. Myriad - I first heard this word in a My Little Pony story I had on an audio cassette when I was about four years old. The context was that the flowers in Blossom's garden bloomed in a myriad of colours, and I can still hear the narrator's voice in my head saying that phrase. I thought it sounded so beautiful. 23 years later it's still my favourite word.
2. Christmas - My favourite time of the year. Makes me think of many good things.
3. Zest - This word lifts my spirits.
4. Hypernevrokustiske diafragmakontravibrasjoner - This is the (Norwegian) medical term for hiccups. I learned it from a guy a long time ago, and it's one of those completely useless things that just take up space in my mind. But it's impossible to forget, and quite fun to say at parties.
5. Brilliant - My current favourite adjective/interjection. I think I originally picked it up from Doctor Who, but now it seems to be everywhere.
6. Aurora Borealis - Northern lights. The name is almost as beautiful as the phenomenon itself.
7. Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - The fear of long words. You gotta love the irony. (I can neither pronounce it nor spell it. I just think it's funny.)
8. Struth - Australian slang: an exclamation expressing surprise or verification. I love it. 
9. Eloquence - Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to me. But it rolls nicely off the tongue.
10. Home - Isn't it strange how such a small word can be so meaningful?  

What are our favourite words?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails