Friday, August 27, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday (6)

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

As much as I like The Secret River by Kate Grenville (and I do), I couldn't shake the feeling that something terrible was about to happen. So in an attempt to delay the inevitable, and because I felt like reading something light that day, I did what I normally never do and started another book before I had finished my current read. This opening sentence is from Eleven On Top by Janet Evanovich:

My name is Stephanie Plum.

Well, duh.

7 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful opening lines. I am intrigued by it.

Here is my post!

Amanda said...

Hi Hilde,

I admit it: I love Stephanie Plum. I love her granma. I love Lula. I love how she goes through cars like I go though running shoes.

And that is the MOST Stephanie Plum-like opening line ever!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Eleven on Top was the first Stephanie Plum book I read. I guess I wasn't put off by the opener!

Thanks for sharing.

Here's mine:

http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/friday-memes-56-and-book-beginnings-2/

Lu said...

I have never read Janet Evanovich, though I have heard that her books are really good.
I wouldn't expect a sentence like that to start the 11th book of a series though.
Here is my post
http://lusravesandrants.blogspot.com/2010/08/book-beginnings-on-friday_25.html

Jenny Q said...

Well no offense to Ms. Evanovich, but that kind of stinks as an opening line! If it was the first book in the series I'd get it, but in this case? I haven't read any of them, though, so I really can't judge! Here's my BB.

Rebecca Chapman said...

Not great I have to be honest. I have always steered clear of Janet and this doesn't help me change my mind :-)

Hilde said...

I do love the Stephanie Plum series, even after eleven books, but I have to agree with the last three commenters. I don't think this was the most interesting of opening lines, especially for the eleventh book in the series. Even new readers would know that the main character is Stephanie Plum. In this case I think Janet Evanovich could have skipped this opening line and started with the next line, which begins a story of Stephanie's summer jobs - much more interesting.

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails