Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature / weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we make a top ten list from a given topic.
This week's topic is
Top Ten Books of 2010
I have been meaning to do a "best of 2010" list, so the topic this week is perfect. :) I was hoping to make it to 40 books this year, but due to lots of pre-Christmas stress and a nasty cold I have hardly read a word the past couple of weeks. The year started with quite a few "meh" books, but towards the end of the year I read some great ones. Not counting re-reads, these are my top ten reads of 2010, in no particular order:
- Past Secrets by Cathy Kelly. The most well-travelled book of the year. I started it in a Lindt Chocolate Café in Sydney and finished it in my flat in Northern Norway.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling. 2011 will be the year I finish this series, I promise!
- Under Gemini by Rosamunde Pilcher. I have yet to meet a book of hers I haven't loved.
- Inkspell by Cornelia Funke. Not quite as great as the first book in the trilogy, but still very good. Can't wait to see how it all ends.
- Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. Australian thriller that reads like an action movie script. Pure escapism.
- The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle. Incredible prose. Best book of the year.
- The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. Izzy Spellman is like an intelligent version of Stephanie Plum. A new favourite.
- The Hot Rock by Donald E. Westlake. Fun and fast-paced about a jewel thief with a bit of bad luck.
- Bad Debts by Peter Temple. My first attempt at Australian crime fiction. You little beauty.
- Incarceron by Catherine Fisher. Clever and interesting YA novel. I ordered the sequel right after finishing this one.