Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2010 Challenges Wrap-Up

2010 Aussie Author Challenge – FAILED

Hosted by Page Turners.
Because I joined late (May) I was trying for the Ankle Biter level of 4 books. Unfortunately I did not get into the last book, so I only read three:

1. Ice Station by Matthew Reilly (review)
2. The Secret River by Kate Grenville (review)
3. Bad Debts by Peter Temple (review)



Spark-i-baken round 9 (BookCrossing) – COMPLETED 30/9-10

From the Scandinavian forum on BookCrossing.
The title of this challenge literally means "kick in the butt" and was created to well, give people a kick in the butt and get you reading. The rules were simple: Pick 10 books from your bookshelf and try to read them in six months. The challenge went from 1 April to 30 September 2010.

1. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris2. Under Gemini by Rosamunde Pilcher
3. Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett
4. The Secret River by Kate Grenville
5. Inkspell by Cornelia Funke
6. Talk to the Hand by Lynne Truss
7. 16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber
8. Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler
9. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
10. Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen



The Book Challenge (GoodReads)PARTIALLY COMPLETED

This is a group on GoodReads where the members set their own reading goals for a year. My goal for 2010 was to read 35 books, 15 of which must be books I have received from BookCrossing. I read 37 books and exceeded my total goal with 2 books, but only 12 of them were BookCrossing books.

1. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
2. Past Secrets by Cathy Kelly
3. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
4. The 5 Greatest Warriors by Matthew Reilly
5. Blue Shoes and Happiness by Alexander McCall Smith
6. Heartbeat: Constable Across the Moors and Other Tales of a Yorkshire Village Bobby by Nicholas Rhea
7. (BC1) Irish Girls About Town by Maeve Binchy, Marian Keyes, Cathy Kelly et al
8. (BC2) The Spider Sapphire Mystery by Carolyn Keene
9. Det niende prinsipp by Gert Nygårdshaug
10. De dødes båt by Knut Nærum
11. (BC3) Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler
12. Siste akt by Nils Nordberg & Klaus Hagerup
13. (BC4) Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett
14. (BC5) Talk to the Hand by Lynne Truss
15. (BC6) Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen
16. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
17. (BC7) Under Gemini by Rosamunde Pilcher
18. Inkspell by Cornelia Funke
19. Ice Station by Matthew Reilly
20. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
21. (BC8) 16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber
22. Eleven On Top by Janet Evanovich
23. (BC9) The Secret River by Kate Grenville
24. The Heretic's Treasure by Scott Mariani
25. (BC10) The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle
26. (BC11) The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz
27. The Hot Rock by Donald E. Westlake
28. (BC12) The Mystery of the 99 Steps by Carolyn Keene
29. Bad Debts by Peter Temple
30. The Sevenfold Spell by Tia Nevitt
31. 'Twas the Night by Sandra Hill, Kate Holmes, Trish Jensen
32. The Burglar and the Blizzard by Alice Duer Miller
33. Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
34. Christmas in Harmony by Philip Gulley
35. The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore
36. Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop by Otto Penzled (ed.)
37. Julemysteriet (The Christmas Mystery) by Jostein Gaarder

2 comments:

Rebecca Chapman said...

Three is pretty good! What did you think of The Secret River? I thought it would have been a bit better if it was either a bit bigger or a bit smaller - but I did enjoy it.

And you read Peter Temple! I haven't read the one that you have, but I have really been getting his writing lately. I will soon read Turth, which is the book that won the Miles Franklin Literary Award last year. First time a crime novel has ever won

Hilde said...

Becky - I thought The Secret River was good, but not epic. It was a bit slow in places and could have been more fleshed out in other places, but overall I enjoyed it too. (I guess I should have included links to my reviews in the post - I have done that now.)

I really liked Bad Debts! I don't remember where I first heard about Peter Temple, but I have been wanting to read him for a while and the challenge prompted me to finally do it. I think I will look for the second book in the Jack Irish series, Black Tide, soon.

Thanks for hosting the challenge - I had fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails