Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday - Books I'll Never Read

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature / weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we make a top ten list from a given topic.

This week's topic is

Top Ten Books I'll Never Read

I may be wrong about these. Then again, I may be right. I'll take my chances.

(I'm cheating in several instances and including "anything..." books, otherwise this list would never end.)

1) The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins – I know the entire blogosphere have been raving about this, but I also know they're not for me. (Sorry.)

2) The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson – Yes, lots of people raving about this one too, but I'm not a huge fan of Scandinavian crime fiction (yes, I'm Norwegian. What's your point?). I won't be watching the movies or tv series either. (Sorry.)

3) Any Harlequin romance (or anything similar) – Yawn. (Not sorry.)

4) The updated Nancy Drew books – Nancy Drew with a mobile phone and laptop? Never. 

5) Any horror books (Stephen King, I'm looking at you) – I don't see the point in voluntarily scaring the heck out of myself. (No, I don't watch horror movies either.)

6) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – Let's face it. Life just isn't long enough.

7) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson –  I started it once, but never got past page five before my head stopped working

8) On the Road by Jack Kerouac – Just too depressing.

9) Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler – I don't really want to know how this man's mind worked.

And while we're on the subject of struggles, here's one that thought Hitler's title was a good way to attract attention:

10) Min kamp vol. 1-6 by Karl Ove Knausgaard – This is a Norwegian author who's written a semi-fictional biography in 6 volumes which has become very popular here. Is it because he's a famous person? Nope, no one I know had even heard of him before the books were published. Is it because he has led a very interesting and inspiring life? Well, he's written two books prior to these, but other than that, not really. Is it because the descriptions of his family made them threaten to sue him and because he writes about having sex with 13-year-old girls while he was a teacher up north? You betcha.

9 comments:

Irene Palfy said...

Great list! I had to laugh about your Stephen King comment. :")

Bibliophile said...

Good list - some I would never read and some I would. Funny about On the Road - when I was 17 I loved it, but when I tried to reread it at around age 30, I hated it. Tastes change, I guess.

IngridLola said...

Haha, I like what you said about Mein Kampf. yikes.

Emily said...

"War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy – Let's face it. Life just isn't long enough."

Hahaha. That's awesome. Great list!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I can't do scary book either, though I had a student today tell me that some of Stephen King's books aren't scary like the Gunslinger series. Perhaps i will take a peek.

Anonymous said...

Nice list. Agree on most of them, really :) I also don't get the fuss with the Steig Larrsen books. At all.

B said...

Perfect list! Except I'm not ready to pass on On The Road just yet, myself. But you are probably right, too depressing.

Bev Hankins said...

Oh, yes! Absolutely agree on the updated Nancy Drew. I had to stop reading those books the first time she was pictured in a leather mini-skirt. I have nothing against leather mini-skirts. But not on Nancy.

And I should have put horror on my list. Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2010/10/top-ten-tuesday-books-ill-never-read.html

Audra said...

Nice list -- I'm with you on Stephen King. I don't mind scary fiction now and then but the factory churning of his stuff (or Dean Koontz) is just not my thing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails