Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Review: The Sevenfold Spell

The Sevenfold Spell
by Tia Nevitt

Published 27 September 2010 by Carina Press
Read: 5–12 November 2010

E-book received from Carina Press via NetGalley. 

Have you ever wondered what happens to the other people in the fairy tale?
Things look grim for Talia and her mother. By royal proclamation, the constables and those annoying “good” fairies have taken away their livelihood by confiscating their spinning wheel. Something to do with a curse on the princess, they said.

Not every young lady has a fairy godmother rushing to her rescue.
 

Without the promise of an income from spinning, Talia’s prospects for marriage disappear, and she and her mother face destitution. Past caring about breaking an arbitrary and cruel law, rebellious Talia determines to build a new spinning wheel, the only one in the nation, which plays right into the evil fairy’s diabolical plan. Talia discovers that finding a happy ending requires sacrifice. But is it a sacrifice she’s willing to make? (Goodreads)

Unexpected and Inventive

The Sevenfold Spell went straight to my wishlist the first time I read a review of it, so I was very excited to have my NetGalley request for it accepted. The concept of this novella appealed to me, as it's always interesting to go behind the scenes of a well-known story, so to speak. We all know the story of Sleeping Beauty, but the princess was not the only one affected by the curse upon her.

To be frank, this book was nothing like I expected. This is definitely an adult story, and the first few chapters had me almost blushing. I had begun to wonder "is this what it's going to be like?" when the story took a different direction and started to feel like a fairy tale instead of a romance novel. The events unfolding were interesting as well as inventive, and the confrontation between Talia's mother and one particular fairy godmother was hilarious. The end came all too soon, as I would have liked to stay in that world a little longer.

Talia is a spirited woman who doesn't let herself be stopped despite not being blessed with good looks. At first she comes across as somewhat selfish and arrogant, but she grows as a character, even during this short story. She learns along the way, and I ended up quite liking her. I must admit I questioned some of her earlier choices, but in the end she convinced me she had arrived at the right place nevertheless. 

Lastly I wanted to comment on the cover. I included an extra large image because I think it is simply gorgeous. The colours, the different elements blended together and the sparkle give it a magical feeling perfect for a fairy tale. I could sit and stare at it all day if I only had the time. It would definitely have caught my attention in a bookstore. 

All in all The Sevenfold Spell is an interesting take on the familiar Sleeping Beauty tale, with a strong female lead and a satisfying end.

My rating: 4/6

3 comments:

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Wonderful review, Hilde :) I was just going to comment that I thought the publisher Carina Press's books might be a bit steamy. At least that is my impression and I see that you were blushing a bit at the beginning so maybe my presumptions were right?

Even so this sounds like an great story, I enjoy a good fairytale retelling.

Ladybug from Escape In A Book.

Hilde said...

It was a bit steamy, but nothing I couldn't handle. ;) I don't read a lot of romance books, so I guess I just need some time to adjust. It was a good story though, so I would recommend it if you like the sound of it. I'm reading 'Twas the Night from the same publisher now, and so far it's been nice and clean, but that might be about to change...

Hilde said...

Oops, scratch that. 'Twas the Night is published by Bell Bridge Books. Note to self: Check before you speak.

Related Posts with Thumbnails