Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday - Holiday Books


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature / weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we make a top ten list from a given topic.

This week's topic is

Top Ten Holiday Books

Christmas is my favourite holiday, and each year I try to read a few Christmas-themed books during November and December.

1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. This is my very favourite Christmas story, but I've actually only read the original once, three years ago. I plan to read it again this year, as well as watch all the movie versions I can find (A Muppet Christmas Carol and Mickey's Christmas Carol are my favourites).

2. Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher. Reading a book by Rosamunde Pilcher is a little like coming home, and Winter Solstice is a book I would like to live in - especially around Christmas.

3. The Christmas Hope series by Donna VanLiere. I have made a tradition of reading one of these books every Christmas. They are sweet, heart-warming tales perfect for the holiday. Currently there are five books in the series, and the first two have also been made into movies.

4. The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder. This book is like an advent calendar. It has 24 chapters so that you can read one chapter every day starting December 1st.

5. Various Christmas mysteries by Mary Higgins Clark. I haven't read any of her regular mysteries, but I love her Christmas mysteries like The Christmas Thief, All Through the Night and Deck the Halls.

6. Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber. Or any other of Macomber's Christmas books (and she has written a few), but I really liked this one.

7. Christmas in Harmony by Philip Gulley. This is a part of the Harmony series, which centers around a young minister and his (slightly crazy) parishioners.

I can't think of any more books at the moment, so the rest of this list consists of my favourite Christmas movies.

8. Love Actually. I never tire of this movie. It is so much more than just a romantic comedy, and the cast is spectacular.

9. It's a Wonderful Life. A Christmas classic. I watched it for the first time sometime this decade, and I've made a point of watching it every Christmas since then.

10. Any Disney short film collection. No Christmas is complete without Mickey, Minnie and Donald.

Oh, now I want to curl up with a mug of gløgg and a Christmas book! We do have a little snow here, and it suddenly got very cold, so that Christmas feeling isn't far away. I think some Christmas music is in order...

4 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Nothing like thinking about holiday books to get me in the Christmas spirit! Here is my list of 10 Books to Read During the Holidays.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I've only read A Christmas Carol from your list. Most of my selections are books that work well as read-alouds.
-Anne

Bibliophile said...

Great list!

I also had A Christmas Carol on my list, and I think most, if not all, of the participants mention it.

The Pilcher book is one I didn't know about - my mother loves Pilcher and I should try to get the book for her.

The Gaarder book reminds me of a Danish Christmas calendar book I have - maybe it's time I reread it.

I read one of Macomber's Christmas books recently and I want to get my hand on all of them now.

Red said...

I had trouble coming up with holiday books I like but I love A Muppet Christmas Carol. It's the closest adaptation I've seen to the original Dickens, which is funny considering it's got a frog and pig in it :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails